Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Port Vale 0-0 Morecambe

3 February 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Port Vale 0-0 Morecambe

3 February 2018

Port Vale were held to a goalless draw against Morecambe as the pair came away with a point shared in League Two. Tom Pope saw several chances go close for Neil Aspin’s men in a mixed game with both teams seeing opportunities to break the deadlock.

The game started well for The Valiants within minutes. An early drive forward through Zak Jules in an attempt to meet the head of Tom Pope went just wide for the home side.

Although the best chance of the first ten minutes came from Morecambe, as Aaron McGowan raced forward to cut the ball back towards Charlie Raglan who did well to clear away on ten minutes.

Gregg Wylde then did well to beat the Vale back four as found himself at the edge of the box at an awkward angle. He attempted the shot as Rob Lainton did well to clear with a great punch away from the Vale goal.

Vale’s best effort came on 21 minutes where David Worrall whipped in a fine ball to be met by the head of Tom Pope, only to be just over.

Luke Hannant had his time to shine as the ball did well to drop down to him on the edge of the 18-yard area. His first-time effort managed to just go wide as the score remained goalless.

The Valiants could have easily found themselves a goal down when Vadaine Oliver headed the ball down to Garry Thompson whose poor effort was held by Lainton.

Lainton was called into action once again with a thrilling save which saw Wylde’s shot punched onto the bar and out for a corner on 34 minutes.

There was a single minute added on at the end of the half as both sides were unable to break the deadlock.

Vale looked to press on in the second-half and saw several good opportunities. The introduction of Anton Forrester and Danny Pugh made a difference as Ben Whitfield with Zak Jules came off.

Firstly, James Gibbons whipped in a fine delivery towards the backpost where Hannant was waiting. His acrobatic effort just missed the midfielder as he tried his luck once again.

Michael Tonge was awarded a free-kick for Neil Aspin’s men as he took the set piece, only to be met by Pope at the back-post, sadly going wide on 66 minutes.

Lainton was yet again called into action, pulling off a last-gasp save to deny The Shrimps getting a late goal with just under 15 minutes to play.

Donovan Wilson then made an appearance as he replaced Antony Kay on 79 minutes, in hope of getting a Vale goal. 

Pope had his chance once again as Worrall delivered a low left-footed cross only to be missed by Popey’s head. So close for The Valiants with only a few minutes to go.

Wilson soon made an impact with three minutes to play. Somehow, he manages to find space after wriggling out of trouble on the 18-yard box and poking just beyond the Danijel Nizic’s far post.

It was all Vale this half until the 88th minute where McGurk just wide of Lainton’s far post from 20-yards, after beating Gibbons down the left-side 

Four minutes of added time were announced as both sides had to settle for a point in this vital League Two encounter. Vale will now travel to Cheltenham Town next week in hope of getting some more points on the board.

Port Vale Team: Lainton, Gibbons, Smith, Raglan, Jules (Pugh 52), Kay (Wilson 79), Tonge, Hannant, Whitfield (Forrester 45), Worrall, Pope ©

Unused Subs: Boot, Howe, Davis, Harness.

Morecambe Team: Nizic, McGowan, Brough, Kenyon, Winnard, Thompson (Wildig 83), Fleming (McGurk 83), Oliver (Ellison 75), Lavelle, Wylde, Rose.

Unused Subs: Maher, Hedley, Lund, McGurk, Campbell.

Attendance: 3968 (117 away supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account