Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Port Vale 5-1 Southend United

30 January 2021

A Ruthless display from the Valiants as they put five past Southend United. Devante Rodney secured a brace in the win, his first coming inside a minute to end the month of January with a big three points.

A dominant performance from Vale who completed the double over Southend United. Crookes scored his first goal in Vale colours to push Vale up the table against the bottom side in the division.

After losing their last two Vale needed a quick start to get the confidence back in the side and that’s exactly what they got. Devante Rodney opened the scoring inside a minute with a thunderous strike into the top corner. The Valiants looked to double their lead on five minutes following a corner whipped in by David Worrall which was met by the head of Jake Taylor but his effort went wide of the goal.

James Gibbons started his first match since September and was unlucky not to get his effort past Southend defender Jason Demetriou who blocked Gibbons’ half volley from a corner routine on 12 minutes. Vale’s pressure told with 21 minutes played as they doubled their lead. Great build-up play between Rodney and Cristian Montano, who both returned to the side, down the left side. Montano’s cross found Worrall in the area who hit the ball with the outside of his foot which was deflected into the net by Shrimpers defender Tyler Cordner.

Southend had lost their last three and Vale capitalised on the visitor’s poor form in the first half. 28 minutes played and Adam Crookes made it 3-0 following a goal mouth scramble from a corner. Nathan Smith, Kurtis Guthire and Worrall all had the chance to put the ball in the net before Crookes’ effort crossed the line for his first Vale goal.

Guthrie had a chance to get his first goal in a Vale shirt too. Good work from Rodney again on the left side found Guthrie in the area who turned his man with ease but couldn’t beat Mark Oxley in the Southend goal with 39 minutes played. The fourth eventually came in the second minute of stoppage time. Rodney was allowed all the time in the world to walk the ball round Oxley for his second and give Port Vale a 4-0 lead going into half-time.

Any idea that Vale were going to sit back and defend in the second half were proven wrong four minutes into the second half. Conlon took a quick free kick from way outside the area, who tried to lob Oxley but it just went over the bar. The Shrimpers had their first real chance on the game five minutes later, a shot from Ash Nathaniel-George outside the area didn’t trouble Scott Brown as it went high and wide into the Hamil Road Stand.

A quiet second half after an explosive first, but Vale were defensively solid all game. A stunning strike from Southend midfielder Nathan Ferguson robbed them of a clean sheet with five minutes left in normal time. Manny Oyeleke made sure Vale had the final say, chopping inside onto his right foot and beating Oxley easily with 87 minutes on the clock. The Valiants now travel to Tranmere next Saturday to try and make it back-to-back wins in the league for ther first time since October.


Port Vale: Brown, Gibbons (46’ Mills), Smith, Brisley (7’ Crookes), Montano, Joyce, Conlon, Taylor (65’ Oyeleke, Worrall, Guthrie, Rodney

Southend United: Oxley, Bwomono (46’ Ferguson), Hobson, Cordner, Dieng, Akinola, Hackett (66’ Acquah), Demetriou (66’ Walsh), Taylor, Hart (34’ Clifford), White (25’ Nathaniel-George)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account