Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Halifax Town 2 - 3 Port Vale

17 July 2018

Neil Aspin returned to his former club Halifax Town and saw his side secure their first win of their pre season campaign with a 3-2 victory.

It wasn't the start Port Vale were looking for after they fell a goal behind with just 15 minutes on the clock. Niall Mahrer collected the ball for Halifax 20 yards out, and his curling effort flew into the top corner leaving Scott Brown with no chance of saving it.

Despite falling a goal behind, Vale responded well. In a new formation, Cristian Montano was still finding areas from centre back to push forward and whip in some dangerous crosses, but Pope and Quigley couldn't find the vital touches to put the ball in the back of the net. 

The Valiants kept chipping away in search of the equaliser, and after applying plenty of pressure on the Halifax goal, they were finally rewarded just before the half.

Scott Quigley held the ball well inside the Halifax box, dragging his defender to the byline before cutting it back for Tom Pope, who was simply not going to waste a chance like that and tapped it in from 4 yards. It was the least the Valiants deserved going into half time, after creating plenty throughout.

Coming out for the second half the Valiants couldn't have started any better. Forget fancy football, it was back to basics which saw the Vale take the lead. Scott Brown played the ball long to Tom Pope, who's flicked header found the feet of David Worrall. The midfielder found himself behind enemy lines and smashed the ball into the back of the net to put Port Vale ahead. 

It was a new position behind the two strikers for the little man in a new formation, but it was working a treat for Worrall as he netted his second and Vale's third just three minutes later. Luke Hannant played a well timed ball through to the over lapping Cristian Montano. His first time ball into the box was met by the head of Worrall, leaving the keeper with no chance of saving it, putting the Vale into a comfortable position. 

Vale were unlucky to not add to their tally, with Kanu, Quigley and Popey all coming close to extending Vale's lead. The game seemed to die down towards the latter stages of the match, but Halifax managed to add a a consolation with the last few kicks of the game.

Three goals in a new formation and the first win of the pre season campaign, there were plenty of positives to take for the Vale, as they look ahead to tomorrow evenings fixture against Nuneaton.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account