Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Vale Reserves go down as Morecambe register their first win

16 February 2017

Vale beaten at Morecambe

Morecambe 2 (0) v Port Vale 0 (0)

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Vale reserves go down as morecambe register first win of the season


MORECAMBE:Daniel Nizic, Aaron McGowan, Luke Conlan, Tyler Brownsword, Liam Wakefield, Paul Dawson, Luke Jordan, Ben Hedley, John Woodhead (Kyle Hawley 67), Olly Box, Steve Yawson.

SUB NOT USED: Nial Maher, Alex Webb, Robbie Jenkinson, Joe Nelligan.


PORT VALE:Joe Slinn, James Gibbons, Kiko(Charlie Walford 46), Paulo Tavares, Ben Fraser, Luke Dennis,Mike Calverley (Harry Benns 67), Sebastien Amoros, Dan Turner, Brian Barton (Tom Daulby 87), Quentin Pereira.

SUBS NOT USED:James Steele, Mick Ede.


minute from a corner as Brownsword rose highest but headed wide of Slinn’s goal.thVale Reserves surprisingly lost this afternoon at Morecambe who had lost every game this season and failed to register a home goal with a record of 0-15 before today’s game. Vale had the first shot on target which came in the third minute but Barton’s effort was partially blocked allowing Nizic a comfortable save. It was another 15 minutes before another opportunity arose and this was from a corner that dropped at Calverley’s feet but he scooped the ball over from 10 yards and soon after Turner had a shot charged down. Morecambe’s first effort came in the 25


There was not much penalty area action and but the hosts were next to have a half chance when the ball fell to Dawson just outside the area but his volley screwed well wide of the goal. Pereira launched a 30 yard effort soon after but was well wide of the goal. 5 minutes before the break Vale quickly moved the ball up field and Kiko beat the fullback before pulling the ball back from the by-line but his cross sped through the penalty without anyone getting a touch.


minute Turner won the ball just outside the box and found Barton who then played in Pereira whose rasping drive was parried away by Nizic.thKiko was replaced by Walford at the start of the half, obviously with an eye to Saturday’s game against Bristol Rovers. Vale showed early on as a quick break by Turner saw Barton cross for Turner to run on to but it was cut out for a corner. With 5 minutes of the half gone Morecambe scored their first Reserve home goal of the season as after a corner Brownsword swept the ball into the far corner of the net. In the 57


Another move by Vale finished with Turner shooting wide. Just after each team made a substitution Vale applied concerted pressure that saw a close range shot by Barton saved at the expense of a corner from which a strong header from Fraser hit the back of Dennis’s head and flew over the bar. Fraser was next to try with a 35 yard shot that flew just wide.


minute Vale conceded a penalty as Gibbons was adjudged to have handled following a corner and Wakefield swept the ball into to top right hand corner of the goal to extend Morecambe’s lead. With 7 minutes remaining Turner turned on the edge of a packed area and hit a strong shot goalwards but it was well held by the ‘keeper as Vale looked destined not to score and this continued as Benns crashed a shot into the side netting.thDawson was shown yellow for clattering Pereira and in the 79


Lindon Roberts – Port Vale Volunteers Group

Advertisement block