Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Walsall 0 Port Vale Reserves 2

7 September 2016


Walsall 0 (0) v Port Vale 2 (2)

Tuesday 06 September 2016



WALSALL:Chandler Hallwood, Sam Tonks, Scott Laird (Callum Cockerill-Mollett 62), Milan Butterfield, Dan Vann, Kory Roberts, Ethan Freemantle (Stefan Mason 67),Jordan Sangha, Cameron Peters, Ashley Maddocks (Will Shorrock 78), Josh Ginnelly.

SUBS NOT USED:Brandon Ganley, Ben Kendrick.

PORT VALE:Ryan Boot, Billy Reeves, Luke Dennis, Kiko, Omar Haughton (Calvin Mac-Intosch 62), Quentin Pereira, Christopher Mbamba, Nathan Ferguson (Michael Brown 45), Rigino Cicilia, Sam Kelly, Dan Turner (Gezim Shalaj 45).

SUB NOT USED:Miguel Santos.

minute after Pereira conceded a free kick some 30 yards out on the left; the ball was swung over to the far post where the unmarked Freemantle headed wide.thFor the third season running Vale Reserves began their season with an away game at Walsall; and it was the third different venue as it was played at Birmingham FA’s ground in Great Barr. Not surprisingly Vale fielded a strong line-up against Walsall’s development squad as players looked to get some game time. The game began quite evenly without any chances being made until the 13

 Just before the 20 minute mark Vale took the lead after a mistake by Roberts who under hit a back pass allowing Cicilia to place the ball wide of the stranded Hallwood from 15 yards. Vale were having most of the play but not creating any chances and the next opportunity came as Kiko, playing as a centre-back, curled a free kick into the box where Dennis was inches away from getting a touch to guide it home. Walsall responded as a powerful shot was deflected just wide of Boot’s goal and from the corner a header flew just over the bar.

Turner played a ball into the box that nearly provided Mbamba with a chance as the defender stumbled, but he recovered to just keep the ball from Mbamba. Turner was again in action with a driving run that resulted in a Vale corner, but Pereria’s centre went straight out of play. In the last minute of the 45 Maddocks sent a 25 yard shot just the wrong side of the post. From the goal kick Vale went straight to the other end where Haughton picked out Turner whose low shot from just outside the box beat the ‘keeper to give Vale a two goal advantage at the break.

The second half started with Brown and Shalaj coming off the bench and Brown was soon dominating the midfield area. Vale were soon on the offensive again with Mbamba stretching at the far post to reach a cross and just failing to keep it down enough to threaten the goal. Brown then played a ball forward for Kelly to reach just before the ‘keeper arrived, but in evading him a defender arrived to challenge Kelly and although he skipped past him as well another defender had got back to get a meaningful tackle and clear the ball. Walsall were being restricted to long range efforts and one from Laird was the closest the Sadlers got to worrying Boot at this stage with the hour mark approaching.

   minute Boot pulled off a good close range save from Peters. With 4 minutes to go the home team should have scored as a free kick conceded by Reeves out on the left flank saw a free header by Peters from 12 yards but his powerful header lacked direction and flew over the bar. thWalsall were now offering more of a threat that Vale were and in the 68

Lindon Roberts – Port Vale Volunteers Group

Advertisement block