Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Vale reserves see off Wrexham

3 March 2016

Reserves win final home game of the season

Port Vale 3 (0) v Wrexham 1 (0)

Wednesday 02 March 2016


PORT VALE: Ryan Boot, James Gibbons (Taylor Attrell 85), Alex Morris, Chekaine Steele, Mackenzie Faulkner, Remie Streete, Byron Moore (Mike Conlon 59), Chris Birchall, Daniel Turner, Achille Campion, Charlie Walford (Brian Barton 77).

SUBS NOT USED: Calum Ferrie, Thomas Ashton.

WREXHAM: Reece Airey, Jake Phillips, Jake Doran, Jonathan Royle, Ryan O’Reilly, Jordan Davies (Joe Williams 70), Iwan Cartwright, Aaron Simpson, Danny Reynolds, Louis Briscoe, Jonathan Smith. 

SUBS NOT USED: Kieran Wolland, Rakim Newton, Leroy Jennings, Leo Smith.

A freezing cold and windswept training ground saw Vale Reserves host Wrexham for their final home fixture of the season as the final 3 games are on the road. Wrexham had a young side out that included ex- Vale player Louis Briscoe who left Vale 9 years ago and has recently joined the Dragons from Torquay and considering the conditions both teams played some attractive foot ball in the first half but without scoring any goals

Campion had an early chance as he broke down the left but Airey was quickly out to cut out the danger and Wrexham went close after 6 minutes as Smith was thwarted by a brilliant save by Boot. The play was pretty well end to end and Vale came close to breaking the deadlock midway through the half as Campion collected a ball up the left wing by Morris and ran on to pull the ball back to Turner whose shot, from the edge of the area cannoned back off the bar to safety.

Turner, who was having an impressive game up front, was soon threatening again as he did well to create a shooting chance with 3 defenders trying to block his way to gaol and his shot was saved by Airey with his feet.  Wrexham were also creating half chances and Briscoe placed a shot just wide and then from a corner saw his header cleared off the line by Gibbons. The final chance of the half came as Turner saw a cross deflected by a defender that caused the ball to arrive just behind Walford waiting at the far post and although he got his head to ball he could not get the direction and the ball was cleared away to safety. 

7 minutes into the second period and Vale got their noses in front as Turner did well on the left before laying it back to Birchall who fed Steele; Steele did well to make space and then hold off his defender before firing home at the near post. On the hour mark Vale made it 2 as Turner deservedly got his name on the score-sheet as he ran across the edge of the area before turning sharply to drive it back across Airey into the far corner of the net.

9 minutes later and Wrexham were back in the game as Doran put Smith in on goal where he was able to slot past Boot. Vale were then put under pressure as the visitors went in search of an equaliser and Boot was forced to tip a 20 yard shot around the post before Reynolds had the clearest chance so far but hesitated allowing the Vale defence to close his down. Vale responded with Campion hitting a shot just the wrong side of the post, but with 6 minutes left it was again Boot to the rescue as he saved from Smith with his feet and then held on to Briscoe’s drive from the rebound.

With 4 minutes on the clock Vale made it safe with the goal of the game as Birchall played a quick one-two and then curled the ball into the top corner of the net from just outside the area and he nearly added a second in the final minute of the 90 as Barton had a shot blocked and Birchall drove the free ball against bar.   

Lindon Roberts – Port Vale Volunteers Group

Advertisement block