Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Vale through to Quarter-Finals of Staffs Senior Cup

28 October 2015

Goals from Dan Turner, Jonny Kapend and Brian Barton see Vale progress


Vale through to Quarter-Finals

Brockton:Callum Barrett, Dave Ablewhite, Matt Hardiman, Kenny Devoir, Matt Dockerty, Ed Booth, Craig Holland (Josh Wilson 66), Sean Kinsella ( Ben Farrall 78), Gary Fife (Matt Dean 60), Dave Berks, Charlie Jones.

Subs not used:Paul McMahon, Matt Dean, Dan Lomas.

Port Vale: Ryan Boot, Ben Fraser, Alex Morris, Billy Reeves, Luke Dennis, Taylor Attrell, Brad Ede, Chekaine Steele, Jonny Kapend (Brian Barton 76), Dan Turner, Tom Ashton. Brian Barton, Mike Conlon.

Subs not used:Callum Ferrie, Charlie Walford, Mike Conlon, Mike Calverley.


who, with the goalkeeper stranded, had the easiest of tasks to slot the ball into the corner of the goal. Brockton responded immediately by winning a corner, from which a shot was blocked and Booth then tried an overhead shot that bounced back from the crossbar.TurnerThe young Vale team got off to a flying start in this first round Staffs Senior Cup tie in Stafford with a goal in 46 seconds. In front of a crowd of 79 the first attack of the game saw the ball bounce off Kapend and into the path of


minute as Vale dithered in defence and Attrell held on to the ball too long and eventually lost possession and had to foul near the corner flag. As he retreated towards goal the free-kick was hit up the goal line and in attempting to block it for a corner was adjudged to have handled. The resulting penalty saw Ablewhite send Boot the wrong way.rdHolland then ran at the Vale defence and evaded a number of tackles to get away a shot that went just the wrong side of the post. Morris then saw a speculative shot from distance pushed away by Barrett at full stretch. The hosts equalised in the 23


     On the half hour mark Vale almost retook the lead as Kapend broke up the right wing before cutting in towards goal; he passed to another Vale player who sent it back out to the wing where Ede cut in to thump a shot against the outside of the post and then out. The 1-1 score at half-time was a fair reflection of the game.


Vale had an early chance in the second period but a saving tackle on Turner as he was about to shoot kept Brockton level. Vale again caused themselves problems by not clearing the ball when the opportunity arose and eventually a poor pass to Boot saw Brocton in possession with Boot out of his goal. Fife had the first attempt and rattled the Vale bar with the loose ball being driven into the side netting by Ablewhite to save Vale’s blushes.


   was on hand to side foot the ball home.Kapend minute as an attack saw Morris cross to the far post where an unmarked stSteele was then booked for a comment to the referee as Brockton were having the best of the exchanges. A Vale breakaway saw Kapend in on goal but his effort was blocked, as were the follow-up efforts. Brockton kept up the pressure and skipper Kinsella was the next to rattle the Vale bar for the third time. Somewhat against the run of play Vale took the lead again in the 71


who slid the ball home past the advancing ‘keeper. Brocton did have a chance to reduce the deficit but Walford shot straight at Boot who comfortably held on to the ball as Vale move on into the quarter-final draw.BartonFive minutes later and Kapend was injured in a tackle on the halfway line and had to be replaced by Barton. With Brocton pushing for an equaliser Vale added a third as Turner fed substitute

Advertisement block