Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Vale Youth Fall at First Hurdle at Lincoln

4 November 2015

Vale go out to a single goal at Sincil Bank

FA Youth Cup - Round 1

Vale Youth Fall at First Hurdle at Lincoln

Lincoln City 1 (1) v Port Vale 0 (0) 0


Lincoln City: Richard Walton, Leon Loftus (Archie Moyses 71), RyleyThompson, Reece Robinson-Jones, Jack Fixter, JackWetherell, Lewis Millington, Liam Harris, Jenk Acar (Calum Stewart 46), Matthew Clarke.

Subs not used: Luke Andersen, Danny Horton, Regan Start.


Port Vale: Harry Pickering , James Gibbons, Alex Morris, Mike Calverley, Mackenzie Faulkner, Taylor Attrell, Mike Conlon, Brad Ede, Dan Turner, Liam Mottram (Charlie Walford 75), Tom Ashton.

Subs not used: Joe Slinn, Brian Barton, Ben Fraser, Luke Dennis.


Round of the Midland Youth Cup played in August that Vale won 5-3 after extra-time. This time the game started differently as Lincoln took the lead after 7 minutes with the first attack of the game that carried a threat. The ball was swung over from the right and the cross was initially cleared to 30 yards out and then played back into the penalty area where Vale again partially cleared but the Lincoln No. 5, Fixter, was running on to this clearance and thumped the ball home into the corner of the net with a slight deflection.stAfter a serious road accident a couple of miles from the ground there was traffic chaos which meant the Vale team were delayed and the KO was put back to 7.30pm. This was a re-run of the 1


minute when McMenemy was first to a ball over the top by Fixter, but Pickering was out of his area to get a tackle in that sent the ball spinning to safety. In the added on time a pass up the left wing saw Mottram chase and get a shot in to the near post that didn’t really trouble minute, but nothing came of this. Lincoln nearly extended their lead in the 36thAfter Lincoln were looking the more likely to add to their tally, Vale eventually mustered an opening that saw Ede cross to the far post and Conlon delayed shooting first time to see his eventual shot diverted out for a corner in the 24


minute Vale should have equalized as Calverley had a free header 6 yards out from a right wing corner, but he headed downwards with power and the ball bounced over the bar.thWith 3 minutes of the second period gone a high cross out past the far post saw Ede getting in a looping header that the ‘keeper stretched to tip over for a corner; from this corner Vale appealed in vain for a penalty as a forward was pulled down in attempting to reach the cross. This was soon followed by a long range shot by Conlon that was well wide. In the 55


minute as high cross to the far post was heading for an unmarked attacker but Gibbons arrived to head it away at the last minute.thAfter the long spell of Vale pressure Lincoln Millington collected a long ball out of defence and his driven cross from the left saw Pickering have to get both hands to it at the near post to divert it away from goal. Conlon was then shown a yellow card for a dangerous challenge on Loftus. Gibbons came to Vale’s rescue in the 67


After dominating possession without creating any clear cut chances Vale almost paid the penalty as a slick move saw McMenemy with a shooting chance but he blazed it into the side netting with 10 minutes to go. With 4 minutes to go Turner weaved into the box beating 2 players but then screwed his shot so wide it went for a throw-in. In a game of few chances Lincoln took one of theirs but Vale missed the one clear opportunity they had to exit the FA Youth Cup for this season and give Lincoln a home tie to Wigan in Round 2.. 





Advertisement block