Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Port Vale v Gillingham

3 January 2015

Report from Vale Park

Attendance: 4,783 including 166 visiting supporters
Saturday 3rd January 2015
Vale Park
League One
Port Vale v Gillingham

A late, late strike from substitute Colin Daniel gave Vale the three points in a pulsating all-action affair against managerless Gillingham in the first game of the New Year at Vale Park.

It took Vale’s tally for the festive season to an impressive nine points from twelve, though it could have just as easily gone the other way when former Vale skipper Doug Loft rattled the Vale crossbar during the second half.

minute, but in the end it was the home supporters who went home minute of the game, only for the Gills to draw level when Cody McDonald netted in the 31thBen Williamson had put the Valiants in front in the 11

Vale had the ball in the Gillingham net within the first minute of the game, but goal scorer Ben Wiliamson was rightly flagged offside.
The only change comes on the Vale bench. Byron Moore misses out, having reported in ill earlier in the week and his place was been taken by Ryan Lloyd.
Rob Page once again stayed with the same starting eleven as Vale prepared to take on Gillingham at Vale Park, hoping to continue their recent form.
The only change came on the Vale bench. Byron Moore missed out having reported in ill earlier in the week and his place was taken by Ryan Lloyd.
Rob Page once again stayed with the same starting eleven as Vale prepared to take on Gillingham at Vale Park, hoping to continue their recent form.

Three minutes later the Vale defence was caught out and Ben Dickenson had a great opportunity to put the visitors ahead, but he couldn’t keep his shot down and the ball fizzed over the bar.

Gills’ caretaker manager Andy Hessanthaler had made five changes for his first game in charge since the sacking of Peter Taylor and his side looked well up for the game.

They were certainly prepared to attack Vale at every opportunity, which made it a good game to watch for the neutral.

GOAL: keeping his composure in front of goal before confidently stroking home the opener.BEN WILLIAMSON minute – thIt was the home fans who were liking most, however, when Vale took the lead in the 11 

The game continued to switch from one end to the other but the Vale defence stood their ground when the visitors did go forward, leaving Chris Neal as a virtual spectator.

Gillingham went close again when Michael Brown, under pressure from Gills’ misfielder Dack, slipped on the ball, and Cody McDonald teed up fellow striker Benm Dickenson, but his shot was charged down by Fredi Veseli.

minute.stAlthough Vale looked quite solid at the back, the visitors continued to drive forward with confidence, and it was that man Dack who set up the equaliser in the 31

GOAL: just inside the Vale box and the striker drove home to level the scores.CODY McDONALD The lively Dack took full advantage of an error by Richard Duffy to feed  

Vale had the ball in the net again just before half time when N’Guessan received the ball to feet inside the box before stroking home, but again the offside flag cut short Vale’s celebrations.

Vale needed to up their game in the second half and they almost got the second period off to the perfect start when Williamson pulled the ball back to Louis Dodds with just 19 seconds gone, but the midfielder shot wide. 

The two sides continued to match each other for endeavour, there were still not too many goal scoring chances to show for their efforts.

Vale seemed to step things up a little and Gills’ ‘keeper Stuart Nelson had to come off his line smartly to prevent Mark Marshall from restoring Vale’s lead.

Marshall took the resulting corner kick himself, swinging the ball over for N’Guessan to send in a header, which Nelson managed to grab at the second attempt.

Former Vale skipper, and the man now wearing the armband for Gillingham, Doug Loft, fired a warning to his former team mates when he hammered in a shot which rattled the Vale crossbar.

minute – Chris Lines coming off the bench to replace Michael Brown in the Vale middle of the park.thVale made a change in the 68

Six minutes later Vale made a second substitution when Ben Wi;lliamson was taken off to be rerplaced by Colin Daniel.

Louis Dodds almost put Vale back in front when his 15 yard shot, helped by a deflection, saw Nelson scrambling back onto his line to touch the ball over the bar.

Chris Neal need to get down low to his left to push away a 20 yard shot from Dack in the 81st minute with both sides still looking to take all three points.

minutes Vale made their third and final change with Achille Campion coming on to take the place of Dany N’Guessan.thIn the 90

GOAL:Sam Johnson, Chris Robertson, Chris Birchall, Chris Lines, Colin Daniel, Ryan Lloyd, Achille Campion SUBS:Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Carl Dickinson, Richard Duffy, Louis Dodds, Ben Williamson, Michael O'Connor, Michael Brown, Mark Marshall, Fredi Veseli, Dany N'Guessan.  PORT VALE:
fired home the decider, much to the delight of the Vale crowd. COLIN DANIEL There was still time for drama and three minutes into stoppage time Vale took the three points when  

GILLINGHAM:Max Ehmer, Danny Kedwell, Jermaine McGlashan, Glenn Morris, Josh Pritchard, Luke Norris, Gavin Hoyte SUBS:Stuart Nelson, Joe Martin, John Egan, Leon Legge, Doug Loft, Jake Hessenthaler, Cody McDonald, Aaron Morris, Michael Doughty, Bradley Dack, Ben Dickenson.  

Advertisement block