Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Port Vale v Doncaster Rovers

21 February 2015

REPORT: Port Vale v Doncaster Rovers

Attendance: 5,173 including 740 visiting supporters 
Saturday 21st February 2015
Vale Park
League One
Port Vale v Doncaster Rovers

Vale put in another gritty performance to take all three points and to complete a league double at the same time, against an impressive Doncaster Rovers side who had occupied one of the play-off places going into the game.

First half strikes from Mark Marshall and Fredi Veseli put the Valiants in the driving seat, but the visitors came back strongly in the second half.

But with three minutes of normal time remaining, Byron Moore netted from an acute angle with his first goal for the club, which, along with another clean sheet put the icing on the cake.

There were no surprises when the team was announced before the game with Rob Page naming an unchanged starting eleven to face an in-form Doncaster Rovers.

There was just one change on the bench with on loan Greg Luer making way for fit-again Louis Dodds, back in the squad after nursing a broken toe for the past few weeks.

The two sides looked equally determined to get to grips with the game early on

minute of the game.thIn a battle for supremacy, but it was Vale who struck the first blow in the 6 

GOAL: get in behind the Doncaster defence and he made no mistake from the edge of the box.MARK MARSHALL Byron Moore played the ball out wide to Tom Pope from inside the centre circle and Pope’s raking pass saw  

ran the ball for a goal kick. The visitors almost pulled a goal back four minutes later when Chris Robertson misjudged a back pass to Chris Neal, allowing Kyle Bennet to nip in, but he over

Marshall went close to netting a second goal for the Valiants, firing in a shot after again being set up by Pope, but this time Rovers’ ‘keeper Stephen Bywater reacted, touching Marshall’s effort over the crossbar for a corner.

The visitors began to enjoy a spell of pressure, but despite creating a couple of half chances, they gave Vale ‘keeper Chris Neal very little to do.

The visitors had half-hearted appeals for a penalty turned down, after they claimed Bennet’s shot from just outside the box had struck a hand.

But it was Vale who were looking marginally the better of the two sides and the more likely to score the game’s second goal.

The visitors were certainly enjoying their share of the ball, but Vale were looking well-organised and robust at the back.

Ryan Inniss was looking equally as impressive on his home debut as he was at Walsall in Vale’s previous game, adopting a no-nonsense approach and not over complicating things.

30-yard shot slipped through Bywater’s hands.FREDI VESELI’S But it was during such a spell that Vale increased their lead, thus warming up the Vale supporters at least, when  GOAL:The winter conditions – icy cold blustery wind and the occasional hail did neither side any favours.

The visitors had no option other than to attack and they certainly showed their intentions earl in the second half, giving Vale plenty to think about at the back.

One particular incident saw the referee nd his assistant intervene when things threatened to get out of control following a goalmouth scramble.

The eventual outcome was yellow cards issued to Rovers’ Nathan Tyson and to Vale’s Ryan Inniss, before the game was finally underway once again.

A few minutes later Tyson was left writing on the floor holding his face, but the referee hadn’t spotted any infringement so no action was taken.

minute Vale were given food for thought when Uche Ikpeazu, who had caused the home side no end of problems when playing at Vale Park for Crewe Alex, came off the bench for the visitors.thIn the 64

Questions were being asked of the Vale team as a whole, not just the defence, as Paul Dickov’s side continued to press, but don’t fall into the trap of thinking at was all Doncaster. 

Vale were battling for every ball and on a difficult pitch were playing a bit too, but Rob Page felt they needed fresh legs in there.

minute, giving Ben Williamson a deserved rest after all of his tireless running.stHe introduced Louis Dodds into the action in the 71

He weather had taken its toll on the pitch, which had cut up quite badly and that was causing problems for both sides at times.

There was a disturbing sight for the home supporters when, limping rather badly, winger Mark Marshall was forced to leave the action – he was replaced by Chris Birchall.

GOAL: cut in from the left before netting Vale’s third from the tightest of angles to sew up three valuable points for the Valiants.BYRON MOORE minute Vale made sure there was to be no Rovers comeback, when th In the 87 

PORT VALE: Sam Johnson, Adam Yates, Ryan McGivern, Chris Borchall, Chris Lines, Tommy O’Sullivan, Louis Dodds SUBS:Chris Lines, Fredi Veseli, Ryan Inniss, Chris Robertson, Carl Dickinson, Byron Moore, Michael Brown, Michael O’Connor, Mark Marshall, Ben Williamson, Tom Pope.   

DONCASTER ROVERS: Marko Marosi, Cedric Evina, Theo Robinson, Curtis Main, Luke McCullough, Uche Ikpeazu, Billy Whitehouse SUBS: Stephen Bywater, Dean Furman, Jamie McCombe, Abdul Razak, Harry Forrester, Nathan Tyson, Andy Butler, Enda Stevens, Richie Wellens, Reece Wabara, Kyle Bennett, 

Follow our Audio Boom Channel and get audio clips to your phone or pc, including team news, interviews and lots more, all completely FREE.

Why not follow us?

Can’t get to the game? Why not listen to full match commentary, courtesy of Radio Stoke, on Valiant Player? Click Here to subscribe

Follow us on Twitter - @OfficialPVFC - for team news and regular match updates straight from the press box

Like us on Facebook -  team news and regular match updates straight from the press box

There will be a full match report on the official website moments after the final whistle, with player and manager interviews to come later.

A match gallery (photos courtesy of Gerard Austin) will also appear on the site soon.

Advertisement block