Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Leek Town v Vale Youth

13 July 2014

Vale Youth beaten at Harrison Park

                 July 2014th12


Leek Town 6 (2) v Port Vale U18s 1 (1)


 Port Vale: Callum Ferrie, Kyle Clark, Alex Morris, Dan Wakeham, Mackenzie Faulkner, Lewis Bergin, Luke Lewis, Billy Reeves, Jonny Kapend, Dan Turner, Omar Haughton.

 Subs: Harry Pickering, James Gibbons, Brad Ede, Taylor Attrell, Lee Foyle, Mick Ede.


A young Vale side got off to a bright start with Turner first to show when he headed on a long ball and ran on to it himself to make the ‘keeper save at the foot of the post and then he hit a shot just wide. Vale took the lead after 8 mins when Vale won the ball in midfield and then Clark burst from his own half to near the goal-line before pulling the ball across goal. The central players all missed it and it found Haughton who side-stepped a defender before side-footing it past the ‘keeper high into the net.


minute as a ball from the left found Grice who hammered it into the far corner. The possession was relatively equal but Leek were making the chances and Vale had a luck escape as their offside trap failed and Ferrie rescued the initial shot but then saw the rebound skied over by another Leek forward at full stretch.rdLeek then came more into the game and Ferrie punched a curling free-kick clear and then saw Leek’s Turner shoot back across goal but past the far post. The equaliser came in the 23


Ferrie was called into action again to spectacularly push the ball over the bar from a clever effort from Dicker. Vale then had a couple of shots blocked from Kapend and Haughton in a rare raid and just before half-time Leek took a deserved lead as Grice beat the off-side trap again on the left side of the field and slotted home past Ferrie into the far corner of the goal.


          Vale brought on Pickering, Gibbons, Ede and Attrell for Ferrie, Clark, Faulkner and Wakeham at the start of the second half and then revolved other players throughout the rest of the game. Kapend had an early chance to get Vale level but took too much time and was eventually closed down and within 5 minutes of the restart Attrell had brought someone down to conceded a penalty and Brice completed his hat-trick from the spot. Just before the hour mark Leek scored their fourth as Hall hammered the ball home as a free-kick was only half cleared to the edge of the area.


 Haughton then had a shot saved before Pickering was in action to keep the deficit down to 3 goals by saving with his feet. Kapend then fed Haughton and his shot was tipped over the bar for a corner. With 13 minutes remaining Leek made it 5 when a free-kick was given 25 yards out for shirt pulling and Shelley made no mistake as he found the inside of the far post past a poorly positioned Vale wall. It was relatively easy now for the home side and Bell blasted the sixth goal home with 10 minutes to go from the edge of the box. Vale’s last effort was from a corner as a header from Attrell was collected easily at the far post by the ‘keeper who had had a quiet second half.


Match Report:Lindon Roberts 

Port Vale Volunteers’ Group



Advertisement block