Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shrewsbury Town v Port Vale

15 February 2014

Match Report from the New Meadow

Saturday 15th February 2014

Shrewsbury Town v Port Vale
League One

5,992 including 1,299 visiting supporters At The New Meadow

PORT VALE: Sam Johnson, Louis Dodds, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Gavin Tomlin, Ben Williamson, Chris Birchall, Billy KnottSUBS:Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Jack Grimmer, Joe Davis, Carl Dickinson, Doug Loft, Chris Lines, Anthony Griffith, Daniel Jones, Jordan Hugill, Tom Pope.

Chris Weale, Dave Winfield, Dave McAllister, TomBradshaw, Jon Taylor, Tom Eaves SUBS: Joe Anyon, Jermaine Grandison, Fraser Fyvie, Tamika Mkandawire, Paul Parry, Connor Goldson, Nathaniel Mendex-Laing, Miles Storey, Ryan Woods, Joseph Mills, Asa Hall. SHREWSBURY TOWN:


Vale kept a clean sheet for the second game running but there was little else to cheer in a drab game at the New Meadow.

The two goalkeepers, each playing against a former club, could have been forgiven had they gone off for a warm in a game where neither of them had a lot to do.

An away point is always welcome, but Vale really ought to have given a poor Shrewsbury a side more to think about.

There were no surprises when the team sheet came out with the Vale naming an unchanged side following the midweek success against Colchester United.

In difficult condition for both sides with a swirling wind influencing the play, the two sides cancelled each other out in the opening minutes.

A terrific curling cross from the left by Carl Dickinson almost found Doug Loft inside the Shrewsbury box but Joe Anyon was quick to read the danger, coming off his line to claim the ball.

minute.thVale were forced into an early substitution after Tom Pope picked up what appeared to be a neck injury and he was replaced by Gavin Tomlin in the 14

Shrewsbury debutant, who joined the Shrews earlier in the week on loan from Swindon went close when he met a deep cross with a firm header, but he put it over Chris Neal’s crossbar.

Both sides threatened on occasions but neither produced the quality necessary to make a telling difference in front of goal.

Vale had the wind behind them for the second half but it was the home side who started the second half the better of the two sides.

Vale made a second substitution on the hour when Jennison Myrie-Williams came off the bench with Anthony Griffith coming off.

the tiring Jordan Hugill as Vale looked to add some pace to their attack.  minute when Ben Williamson came on forthVale made their third and final change in the 69

Still very little was happening for either side and Vale then tried a tactical change with Myrie-Williams and Jones switching wings.

Vale began to press higher up the pitch as they sought what could prove the the elusive goal in a game which neither side had looked like scoring.



Advertisement block