Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Vale v Bury

3 September 2013

Vale v Bury - Report

Tuesday 3rd September 2013

Port Vale v Bury
Johnstone's Paint Trophy

John Rooney, Marco Navas Gondalez, Greg McDermott, Adam Lockwood, Reice Charles-Cook SUBS: Brian Jensen, Shaun Beeley, Richard Hinds, Andy Proctor, Ashley Grimes, Euan Holden, Chris Sedgwick, Shaun Harrad, Jordan Sinnott, William Edjenguele, Tempitope Obdeyi. BURY:

Sam Johnson, Joe Davis, Chris Shuker, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Kaid Mohamed. SUBS: Chris Neal, CHris Robertson, Carl Dickinson, Liam Chilvers, Doug Loft, Louis Dodds, Tom Pope, Ben Williamson, Anthony Griffith, Richard Duffy, Chris Birchall. PORT VALE:

2,351 including 146 visiting supporters At Vale Park

Under competition rules, Micky Adams was allowed to make up to five changes, and he did just that for the visit of Bury.

The omission of Daniel Jones was enforced (groin injury) and he was joined by Adam Yates, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Chris Lines, and Lee Hughes.

The five players who came into the starting line-up were Laim Chilvers, Lous Dodds, Ben Williamson, Richard Duffy and Chris Birchall.

Vale started off on the front foot and created several opportunities early on in the game, the first of which came inside the first minute.

Making his first of the season, Ben Williamson came in from the right and drilled a low shot which experienced goalkeeper Brian Jensen, who joined the Shakers on Monday, did well to get down to.

Williamson ten got on the end of a cross from Chris Birchall to head over, before Birchall himself got in on the act, firing over the crossbar from 20 yards in the 7th minute.

Vale weren’t having things all their own way, however, and it took a well-timed tackle on the pacey Obadeyi by Richard Duffy on the bye-line to prevent the Bury man from setting one of his team mates up.

The lively Williamson was causing the visitors problems at times, but although Vale were having slightly the better of things in terms of possession, Jensen had little to do in the Bury goal.

Vale went close to breaking the deadlock in the 38th minute when Birchall played a free kick square to his left for skipper Doug Loft.

Loft steadied himself before hitting a forceful 25 yard shot which Jensen saved in spectacular style at the expense of a corner.

Moments later Chris Neal was called into action, diving full length to his right to push a 25 yard effort from Jordan Sinnott, son of former Vale manager Lee.

The Shakers finished the first half strongly with a spell of pressure to keep the Vale defence on their toes, but Vale were able to stand firm and the two sides went in level at the break.

Vale made a change at the commencement of the second half, with Chris Shuker taking the place of Anthony Griffith in the middle of the park.

Vale continued to knock the ball around well at times but with no penetration to speak of and neither ‘keeper had an awful lot to do.

Sinnott again tried a long range effort, but Neal was its equal, going down to his left to make a comfortable save.

Vale were going close to unlocking the door on a few occasions, without turning the key, but it was the visitors who were finally successful in the 71st minute.

GOAL: Obadeyi took the ball to the bye-line, cut it back for Sinnott, whose miscued shot was headed home at the far post by CHRIS SEDGWICK.

Vale immediately made two substitutions. On came Jennison Myrie-Williams and Kaid Mohamed, replacing Chris Birchall and Louis Dodds.

GOAL: Vale levelled in the 79th minute after Myrie-Williams won a corner. Shuker sent in a lovely-flighted ball from the flag kick and TOM POPE was on hand to head powerfully past Jensen.

Moments later Chris Neal was in action at the other end, making a double save from Shaun Harrad to keep the visitors at bay.

Vale again had Neal to thank when he stuck out a hand to deny Harrad after the Bury man hadthe ball slipped into his path by Sinnott.

Vale kept on plugging away and they were finally rewarded, one minute into stoppage time, much to the relief of everybody in the crowd who were expecting the game to go to penalties.

GOAL: Carl Dickinson drove forward with purpose and chipped the ball over the Bury defence for TOM POPE, and the Vale striker did what he does best, netting his second goal of the match and the decider.

Advertisement block