Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT - Alfreton v Vale

27 July 2013

Match report from the Impact Arena

ALFRETON TOWN: Ross ATkins, Bradley Wood, Connor Franklin, Chris Westwood, Nick Fenton, Dan Bradley, Josh Law, Paul Clayton, Matthew Barnes-Homer, Daniel Meadows, Tom Shaw. SUBS: Darran Kempson, Kristian Ramsey-Dickson, Aaron Webster, Martin Devaney, Alastair Taylor Joel Purkiss.

PORT VALE: Sam Johnson, Adam Yates, Carl Dickinson, Chris Robertson, Chris Lines, Doug Loft, Anthony Griffith, Lee Hughes, Ben Williamson, Jennison Myrie-Williamson, Richard Duffy. SUBS: Ryan Boot, Dominic Dell, Ben Jefford, Wilson Carvalho, Gary O'Neill


Vale started strongly and were rewarded for their early dominance in the 11th minute when Chris Robertson nodded his side in front.

Chris Lines sent in a perfectly flighted ball from a free kick out on the left touchline and Robertson rose head and shoulders above the Alfreton defence to send a powerful downward header past Town ‘keeper Ross Atkins.

The home side were not too far off levelling in the 25th minute when a rasping drive from Tom Shaw flew just the wrong side of Sam Johnson’s left hand upright.

Vale had been forced to soak up a short spell of Alfreton pressure, but were soon in action at the other end, Jennison Myrie-Williams forcing Atkins to go full length to save his 20 yard effort.

It was proving to be a good workout ahead of Vale’s opening League One fixture against Brentford, with the home side battling for every ball.

Vale’s latest signing Carl Dickinson was coping well despite his lack of game time leading up to the match, and Richard Duffy shone on the heart of the Vale defence.

The home side made four changes ten minutes into the second half, but Micky Adams resisted the opportunity to do likewise, preferring to give his players as much game time as possible.

Four minutes later Alfreton made a further substitution, Aaron Webster coming on in place of Tom Shaw.

Lee Hughes played a nicely paced ball to the feet of Ben Williamson on the edge of the box and Williamson turned sharply to make space for himself, forcing a save from the ‘keeper.

Williamson again threatened when he latched on to a precise through ball from Dickinson, but this time Atkins was quick off his line to avert the danger.

Sam Johnson didn’t have an awful lot to do in the game, but was well positioned to hold an 80th minute back post header from centre half Nick Fenton from a free kick out on the left.

Vale doubled their lead in the 86th minute when a cross-come-shot from the right touchline by Lee Hughes sailed over the ‘keeper’s head and nestled into the far corner of the net.

Advertisement block