Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 February 2013

No disgrace as Vale go out of FA Youth Cup

RoundthFA Youth Cup 4

February 2013th07

Port Vale 1(0) v Everton 1(0) 2-3 aet.


Port Vale:Ryan Boot, Joe Evans, Tom Morris (Matthew Warner 58), Will Whieldon, Dougie Price (C), Nathan Smith, Joshua Croft, Jack Pryor, Ollie Marland (Macauley Davies 90 + 6), Luke Beesley, Ricardo Swarby (Elliot Osbourne 80).

Substitutes – not used:Joe Hemmings, Elliot Osbourne, Luke Wright.


Everton:Russell Griffiths, Matthew Pennington, Ibou Touray (Jasper Johns 79), Jonjoe Kenny, Curtis Langton, Tom Molyneux, Matthew Kennedy, Ryan Ledson (Harry Charsley 66), George Waring, Chris Long, Conor Grant (Gethin Jones 101).

Substitutes – not used:Mason Springthorpe, Calum Dyson.


The first real chance came with a shot from the visitors that saw Boot scrambling along his line but the ball went wide of the far post and to safety.

minute were blocked without reaching the goal.thEverton kept up the pressure and two shots in the 8

Everton were doing most of the attacking but one promising Vale attack eventually broke down and Kennedy made a 70 yard run beating numerous Vale defenders but his final through ball allowed Boot to collect comfortably.

Vale responded with a Croft beating his man on the right and cutting into the box, but his low drive into the 6 yard box was blocked and cleared.

minute as Long crossed and Kennedy saw his shot saved superbly by Boot. Vale replied with an attack down the left that eventually saw a shot by Evans go the wrong side of the post.ndEverton almost scored in the 22

Everton again plied on the pressure and a burst into the box by Pennington caused problems with the ball being headed and kicked around the area before being cleared by a relieved defence.

Just after the half hour mark Waring saw a looping header plucked from under the bar by Boot who was the more active ‘keeper by far.

With half time approaching Vale put a good move together with the ball being passed from left to right wing, but the resulting cross skipped through the 6 yard box beating everyone as the period ended without any goals.

The second half began much as before with both teams pushing forward and the visitors making the clearer opportunities and Waring put the ball wide of the goal from out wide with a first time effort as he just beat Boot to ball.

  Another cross was headed clear by Morris but his effort resulted in a clash of heads that saw him prostrate with both trainers called on to the pitch to treat him and after 8 minutes of treatment he was taken off on a stretcher to be replaced by Warner.


A few minutes after the restart a Vale attack saw Evans swing the ball over for Beesley to guide a header goal wards where it was collected at the foot of the post by Griffiths.

  blasted the ball high into the roof of the net to give Vale the lead.MarlandA shot by Croft after 62 minutes was blocked resulting in a corner. From the corner the ball reached Swarby and his strong shot was only partially blocked and it reached the far post where

Everton responded with Kennedy unleashing a drive that Boot got his hands to but failed to hold and the ball went around the post for a corner.

Kennedy was providing the majority of the threat for the Toffees and won another corner but the resulting cross was headed wide of the near post.

   A Vale attack seemed to have broken down but a tackle saw the ball break to Marland whose curling shot was taken at the second attempt by Griffiths.

Everton had a spell of pressure but without creating any real chances and Vale pushed forward a couple of times with one cross from drifting just past the far post.

Everton then threatened and a good clearing header was required to avert the danger.

The visitors then won a free kick near the corner flag which was again headed away and a long range shot from the clearance flew well over the bar.

minute with a goal from Waring and the game restarted with an announcement that there would be 10 minutes of additional time played.thEverton drew level in the 89

Vale pressed for a winner in the last few minutes of normal time and had a claim for a penalty that was correctly turned down and then a timely tackle denied Beesley and then a final effort was blazed over by Osbourne and 30 minutes extra time was reached.

shooting home from Croft’s cross. Everton responded again but Vale defended the cross well.Davies minute with rdVale retook the lead in the 93

Vale broke and Pryor went through the middle of the park and after beating his man unleashed a 30 yard shot that Griffiths only held at the second attempt.

Everton equalised for the second time with 2 minutes of the first period of extra time remaining as Pennington broke into the box on the left and slipped the ball past Boot as a defender attempted a tackle.

Everton were then pressing for another and a shot whistled past the Vale goal as the period finished all square again.

Everton were exerting most of the pressure but not creating clear openings and the closest they came was a long range effort that forced Boot to push it around the post for a corner.

Everton took the lead with 7 minutes of the final period left when Waring made an opening for Long who slotted the ball calmly home to start celebrations that also saw him booked. In the minute added on to the final period a hanging cross was met by Smith, whose header hit the bar but went to safety as a valiant effort ended in defeat but with lots of glory.


Advertisement block