Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Newcastle Town v Vale

21 July 2012

Match report from the Lyme Valley Stadium

Goals in either half from Tom Pope and Ben Williamson ensured a third successive win for Vale in five days, before they head off for Ireland on Sunday morning.

It has been a hectic few days, despite the majority of the players playing only forty-five minutes in each game, and it will be a case of early to bed tonight as they are due to catch an early morning light from Manchester.


The trip is a useful exercise from a team bonding point of view and will help the new lads to bed in as the players live in each others pockets for eight days.

Vale faced a tougher test today against Newcastle Town but still came out fairly comfortable winners against their toughest opponents to date in pre-season.

The emphasis is on fitness, not results, but winning can certainly become a habit and you won’t hear any complaints from inside the Vale camp.

Dave Artell (slight Achilles) and Chris Neal (slight groin strain) were left out ahead of the Ireland trip as a precaution and Kingsley James pulled out just before kick off due to a family illness.

Vale had much of the possession, as expected, but the home side proved decent opposition and made it difficult for the League side.

Tom Pope went close when he dragged the ball from under his feet to get a shot in, but Newcastle ‘keeper, Parton, did well to parry around the upright.

From the resulting corner, Pope beat Parton with a firm close range header, but the referee’s assistant ruled it out for offside.

Jennison Myrie-Williams had what appeared to be a good shout for a penalty turned down when he went to ground just as he was about to unleash a shot at goal.

 minute when Pope got up well to meet a cross from Ashley Vincent to head over the outstretched fingers of Parton.stVale finally got their noses in front in the 41

As he had in Vale’s previous two pre-season games, Micky Adams made wholesale changes at half time. Goalkeeper Sam Johnson, Doug Loft and Ryan Burge, were the only players who began each half.

In the second half, a hooked shot from Louis Dodds flew inches over the bar and Tadhg Purcell shot over as Vale upped the pressure.

 minute when a long ball from Sam Morsy was nodded down by a home defender and Ben Williamson  took full advantage to drive home.thVale increased their lead in the 66

There were no further goals in the game, but the manager will have been well pleased with another satisfactory work out at this stage of the season.

Advertisement block