Skip to main content


17:15 10th January 2015
By  @OfficialPVFC - DJ

REPORT: Chesterfield v Port Vale

Chesterfield v Port Vale
League One
The Proact Stadium
Saturday 10th January 2015
Attendance: 7,044 including 1,087 visiting supporters

Vale’s hopes of taking anything back home with them from Derbyshire were left in ruins, with former Vale players causing most of the problems as Vale crashed to a 3-0 defeat to Chesterfield.

Former Vale midfielder Sam Morsey showed just how much he has matured as a player, pulling the strings for the home side in the middle of the park.

Ivorian striker Armand Gnanduillet headed the home side in front in the 12th minute but Vale were very much still in the game as they trailed by a single goal at half time.

Eoin Doyle increased the Spireites lead from the spot on the hour, then fifteen minutes later came the third to finish of any hopes had of getting something from the game.

Former Vale loanee Jay O'Shea sent in a corner kick from the right and Charlie Raglan, a former trainee at the Vale, sprinted in to power a header past Chris Neal to wrap up the points.

Rob Page unsurprisingly kept the same starting eleven for the game at the Proact Stadium – the fifth match in succession Vale had fielded the same side.

The only change came on the bench. Ryan Lloyd picked up a knock against Norton United in midweek and his place amongst the Vale substitutes went to Byron Moore, the former Crewe man recovering from a virus.

An early Vale attack saw Mark Marshall skin his marker before pulling the ball back from the byeline towards the far post, but unfortunately for the visitors Louis Dodds couldn’t quite keep his header down.

Morsey was pulling the strings in the middle of the park for the home side, spreading the ball about across the pitch and slotting the off ball through the heart of the Vale defence to cause the Vale a few problems.

There was almost another problem for the Vale when GNANDUILLET went down inside the Vale box in the 8th minute when challenged by Adam Yates, but the referee rightly judged there had been no contact.

GOAL: Four minutes later, however, the Ivorian striker had the last laugh when he rose the meet a left wing cross with a firm downward header to put the Spireites in front.

Marshall was at it again, forcing his way to the byeline to send in another right wing cross, and again it found Dodds, but again the Vale midfielder couldn’t keep the ball down, heading over the crossbar.

Richard Duffy volleyed narrowly over the Chesterfield cross bar as Vale went in search of an equaliser, with the visitors very much still in the game.

Vale skipper Carl Dickinson picked up a yellow card in the 39th minute for what the referee saw as a rash challenge in the middle of the park, but from up in the press box he appeared to have played the ball.

Dany N’Guessan failed to come out for the second half, Colin Daniel taking up his position on the Vale left as Vale looked to get themselves back into the game.

They almost did just that two minutes after the interval when Williamson unleashed a fierce 25 yard effort that wasn’t too far off the target.

Then at the other end, Morsey whipped in an angled cross from the right with Doyle sprinting into the box, but the Irishman couldn’t quite get his head to it.

Vale supporters shouted for a spot kick when a shot from Marshall struck Spireites’ defender Sam Hird, but the appeals were nothing more than wishful thinking from the Vale faithful.

Vale made a second change on 56 minutes. Michael Brown, wh had been booked in the first half, was taken off and replaced by Chris Lines.

GOAL:The home side increased their lead on the hour when Fredi Veseli upended EOIN DOYLE inside the box and the Chesterfield top scorer hammered home from the penalty spot.

A dipping 25 yard 25 yard shot from Morsey could have further stretched the home side’s lead, but for Vale ‘keeper Chris Neal, who moved smartly to his left to push around his upright.

Vale made their third and final substitution in the 66th minute, Louis Dodds making way for Frenchman Achill Campion, with Vale desperately needing a goal from somewhere.

Chris Neal was called upon to make a further two decent saves as the home side looked to turn the screw and they managed to do just that in the 70th minute.

GOAL:Neal had managed to turn away a hot for the corner, but when the flag kick came in from the right, it was met by CHARLIE RAGLAN, who planted a firm header into the net against his former club.

Ben Wiliamson almost snatched a goal back for the Valiants when he turned sharply on the edge of the box to fire a shot against Tommy Lee’s crossbar.

Campion almost got his name on the scoresheet when he slid in stretching to get a toe to the ball, but Lee went down sharply at the foot of the post to block.

CHESTERFIELD: Tommy Lee, Tendayi Darikwa, Sam Hird, Sam Morsey, Armand Gnanduillet, Gary Roberts, Sam Clucas, Ritchie Humphreys, Charlie Raglan, Eoin Doyle, Romauld Boco. SUBS:  Myles Wright, Dan Gardner, Jimmy Ryan, Jay O’Shea, Daniel Jones, Drew Talbot, Mani Dieseruvwe

PORT VALE: Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Fredi Veseli, Richard Duffy, Carl Dickinson, Michael Brown, Louis Dodds, Michael O’Connor, Mark Marshall, Ben Williamson, Dany N’Guessan. SUBS: Sam Johnson, Chris Robertson, Chris Birchall, Chris Lines, Colin Daniel, Byron Moore, Achille Campion


Follow our Audio Boom Channel and get audio clips to your phone or pc, including team news, interviews and lots more, all completely FREE.

Why not follow us?

Can’t get to the game? Why not listen to full match commentary, courtesy of Radio Stoke, on Valiant Player? Click Here to subscribe

Follow us on Twitter - @OfficialPVFC - for team news and regular match updates straight from the press box

Like us on Facebook -  team news and regular match updates straight from the press box

There will be a full match report on the official website moments after the final whistle, with player and manager interviews to come later.

A match gallery (photos courtesy of Gerard Austin) will also appear on the site soon.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.