Skip to main content


21:35 6th December 2013
By  @OfficialPVFC - DJ

Match Report from Vale Park

Friday 6th December 2013

Port Vale v Salisbury City
FA Cup Round Two

At Vale Park
4,658 including 240 visiting supporters

PORT VALE:Sam Johnson, Adam Yates, Chris Robertson, Richard Duffy, Carl Dickinson, Chris Birchall, Anthony Griffith, Chris Lines, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Gavin Tomlin, Tom Pope. SUBS:  Ryan Boot, Daniel Jones, Liam Chilvers, Rob Taylor, Ben Williamson, Louis Dodds, Lee Hughes 

SALISBURY: Will Puddy, Callum Hart, James Clarke, Glenn Wilson, Jamie White, Theo Lewis, Elliott Frear, Clovis Kamdjo, Stuart Sinclair, Dan Fithcett, Angus McDonald. SUBS: Ryan Brett, Chris McPhee, Ricky Wellard, Ben Wright, Brian Dutton, Warren Feeney, James Bittner

Vale progressed through to the third round of the FA Cup with a win over Salisbury City, but they made hard work of things at times during the game.

Leading through a first half goal from defender Chris Robertson, they sat back and admired their work and were duly punished when Dan Fithcett hit his 6th goal in eight game to level the scores.

Vale finally got their noses back in front with a 78th minute header from TomPope – his 50th goal in a Vale shirt and three minutes later Rob Taylor netted Vale’s third.

Ben Williamson made the scoreline a bit more flattering when he turned sharply on the edge of the box to slam home Vale’s fourth.

Micky Adams named an unchanged side for the visit of Skrill Conference side Salisbury City, showing the visitors the upmost respect and his determination to progress into the third round of the FA Cup.

The only change came on the bench with the return of fit again Daniel Jones – Chris Shuker was the man to miss out to make way for the defender.

Vale put plenty of pressure on the visitors in the opening minutes of the game but didn’t seriously test Salisbury ‘keeper Will Puddy.

Chris Birchall hit a shot from outside the box, but straight at the ‘keeper, as Vale went looking to get their noses in front early on in the game.

A 16th minute free kick from Chris Lines found a way through the defensive wall, but again, Puddy stooped low to gather comfortably.

A slip by Richard Duffy in the 19th minute let in Theo Lewis. Fortunately for the Vale his shot was lacking in power and Sam Johnson dived to his right to make a simple save.

GOAL:Vale went ahead in the 24th minute when Tom Pope’s shot was blocked, but squirmed its way across the face of goal to CHRIS ROBERTSON, who gratefully hammered it home from 10 yards.

The visitors were handed a golden opportunity to level the scores three minutes later when a mix up in the Vale defence presented Elliott Frear with a clear shot on goal, but the Salisbury man fired well over the bar.

Although Vale played the ball around well at times, the rest of the second half was pretty much lacking in goalmouth action, despite Vale having the better of things.

The second half started rather stale although again, Vale were having plenty of the ball. The problem was they were not doing enough to trouble the visitors when they were in possession.

Chris Lines, as he did in the opening forty-five minutes, looked sheer class every time he got the ball. He had pace, control and almost glided around the Vale Park playing surface like a skater on ice.

Anthony Griffith was booked in the 58th minute after being warned moments beforehand following two or three fouls in the space of five minutes.

GOAL:Vale were punished for their lack of penetration in the 64th minute when a free kick from Frear found DAN FITHCETT. Sam Johnson saved his first effort but couldn’t keep hold of the ball and Fithcett followed up to fire the visitors level.

The visitors were by now looking the more hungry of the two sides, but in a rare Vale attack the home side went close when Ben Williamson headed inches over the bar.

It seemed to spark Vale back into life and it didn’t take long for Vale to show what they were all about.

GOAL:In the 78th minute Vale went back in front when TOM POPE rose to meet a left wing cross from Rom Taylor to send a powerful header past the ‘keeper and into the net.

GOAL:Three minutes later Pope played the ball to ROB TAYLOR and the winger kept his composure to send the ball past Puddy and into the far post to make it 3-1

GOAL: Vale added a fourth goal seconds into stoppage time when Ben Williams received the ball just outside the 18 yard box, turned sharply and fired past Puddy to wrap things up.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.