Skip to main content


21:35 26th November 2013
By  @OfficialPVFC - DJ

Ten-men Preston take all three points

Tuesday 26th November 2013

Port Vale v Preston North End
League One

At Vale Park
5,889  including 1039 visiting supporters

Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Chris Robertson, Richard Duffy, Carl Dickinson, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Chris Lines, Anthony Griffith, Louis Dodds, Ben Williamson, Tom Pope.SUBS: Sam Johnson, Liam Chilvers, Rob Taylor, Gavin Tomlin, Lee Hughes, Chris Birchall, Jordan Hugill.

Declan Rudd, Scott Laird, Tom Clarke, Bailey Wright, Chris Humphrey, Kevin Davies, Paul Gallagher, Joe Gardner, John Walsh, Jack King, Neil Kilkenny. SUBS: Thorsten Stuckmann, Keith Keane, Paul Huntington, Joel Byrom, David Buchanan, Will Hayhurst, Iain Hulme

Vale’s recent good run came to an end at the hands of Preston North End thanks to a goal in each half from on-fire Joe Garner, the second one from the spot.

The visitors were reduced to ten men as early as the 13th minute of the game but Vale just couldn’t find a way past a well organised Preston defence.

Micky Adams made three changes for the visit of Preston North End as the Valiants looked to break into the top six for the first time this season.

Rob Taylor, who did well on Saturday against Crewe after a seven month lay-off was rested and was named on the bench, whilst Carl Dickinson returned from injury.

Up front Ben Williamson came in for Jordan Hugill and coming in for injured skipper Doug Loft was the adaptable Louis Dodds.

Vale began well enough but it was the visitors who almost drew first blood when the in-form Joe Gardner tried an audacious 35 yard shot which tested Chris Neal in the Vale goal.

The visitors were reduced to ten men in the 13th minute when the referee thought he had spotted an off-the-ball incident between NEIL KILKENNY and Anthony Griffith.

As it turned out it was a case of mistaken identity as the real culprit was Joe Garner, who went on to take advantage of the situation when he put Preston ahead 16 minutes later.

Vale looked to take advantage of the situation and pressed forward in numbers for a spell looking to further trouble the visitors but nothing came of it.

Preston boss Simon Grayson decided to make a tactical change in the 24th minute, bringing on Keith Keane for Kevin Davies.

GOAL:Vale continued to press, opting for a patient build-up with plenty of possession, but the visitors struck a blow in the 29th minute when JOE GARNER struck from the edge of the box, firing home his sixth goal in five games.

Vale almost hit back immediately when Tom Pope got in behind the Preston defence to send a heard towards the far post but Rudd tipped the ball around the upright.

Vale made a change at the onset of the second half with Rob Taylor coming off the bench to replace Anthony Griffith.

Vale started the second period brightly enough, putting the visitors under pressure in the opening minutes of the half.

Vale made a second substitution in the 63rd minute with the tactical withdrawal of Carl Dickinson, Gavin Tomlin taking to the field.

And three minutes later Micky Adams made his third and final change, sending on Lee Hughes to replace Ben Williamson.

Vale continued to peg the visitors back but were finding it hard to break down a resolute Preston defence.

Gavin Tomlin went close with a powerful drive from the edge of the area which Rudd gratefully touched over his crossbar.

GOAL:Despite all of Vale’s pressure, the visitors doubled their lead in the 71st minute when the broke and substitute Will Hayhurst was brought down in the box by Chris Neal and JOE GARNER dispatched the spot kick to make it 2-0.

The goal certainly didn’t kill Vale’s enthusiasm, but no matter how hard they pressed, they still couldn’t break down the visitors’ defence.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.