Skip to main content


16:55 16th November 2013
By  @OfficialPVFC

Match report from Vale Park

Saturday 16th November 2013

Port Vale v Shrewsbury Town
League One

At Vale Park
6,547 including 579 visiting supporters

PORT VALE: Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Chris Robertson, Richard Duffy, Carl Dickinson, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Anthony Griffith, Chris Lines, Doug Loft, Ben Williamson, Tom Pope. SUBS: Sam Johnson, Louis Dodds, Gavin Tomlin, Chris Shuker, Lee Hughes, Jordan Hugill, Chris Birchall

SHREWSBURY: Chris Weale, Joe Jacobson, Luke Summerfield, David Winfield, Gozie Ugwu, Nicky Wroe, Aaron Wildig, Tamika Mikandawire, Connor Goldson, Liam McAlinden, Adam Reach. SUBS: Darren Jones, David MaAllister, Tom Bradshaw, Alex McQuade, John Marsden, Ryan Woods, Joe Anyon

Vale overcame a second half comeback from visitors Shrewsbury Town to earn themselves three valuable points in a game of two halves.

Vale dominated the opening forty five minutes an were good value for there two-goal lead at the interval after goals from defender Chris Robertson and winger Jennison Myrie-Williams put them firmly in the driving seat.

A spirited second half performance from the visitors saw them pull a goal back from Liam McAlinden and although they held on to their lead, Vale at times looked very shaky.

Deep into stoppage time, however, Vale made sure of the three points when substitute Jordan Hugill netted a third and decisive goal to kill of Shrewsbury’s hopes of grabbing a point.

Vale made three changes from the side victorious against Shortwood United in the FA Cup earlier in the week, one enforced.

Ben Williamson came in for Lee Hughes to partner Tom Pope up front and Micky Adams welcomed skipper Doug Loft back from injury – he replaced Chris Birchall.

The other change was due to the late withdrawal of central defender Liam Chilvers who was forced to pull out due to an illness and Richard Duffy came in to replace him.

The visitors looked in a determined mood right from the kick off but Vale dealt well with the threat and before long were causing the visitors one or two problems.

Chris Weale did well to get down quite sharpish to stop an effort from Ben Williamson on the line and the Shrewsbury ‘keeper then made a terrific save to prevent an own goal from David Winfield after the defender headed firmly back towards goal.

Vale were beginning to look the more threatening of the two sides and they were not too far off again when Tom Pope nodded the ball across to Loft, whose shot wasn’t too far off the target.

GOAL:Vale deservedly took the lead on 22 minutes when a throw in from Adam Yates found Chris Lines and his cross to the far post was met by an unmarked CHRIS ROBERTSON who headed firmly into the net.

GOAL:Eight minutes later JENNSION MYRIE-WILLIAMS scored what will no doubt be amongst the contenders for goal of the season with a spectacular solo goal, running with pace from the halfway line before unleashing a powerful shot which flashed past Weale in the Shrewsbury goal.

Chris Robertson almost added his second and Vale’s third when he met a Chris Lines free kick from the right, but unfortunately headed straight at the ‘keeper.

The visitors rarely threatened and when they did, the Vale defence seemed hardly troubled, comfortably dealing with everything Shrewsbury had to offer.

Their best chance same in first half stoppage time, when Liam McAlinden, looking suspiciously offside, managed to get in behind the Vale defence, but his angled shot trickled wide of the far post.

Vale kicked of the second half holding a comfortable two-goal lead but started the second period looking a little sluggish.

It was difficult to tell whether they had taken their foot off the pedal, Shrewsbury had lifted their game, or it was a combination of the two.

Whatever the reason, the visitors got themselves back in the game when they pulled a goal back with 58 minutes on the clock.

GOAL:The Vale defence looked all over the place and the visitors took full advantage when the ball came out to LIAM MCALINDEN, Who belted the ball back to where it came from 15 yards and into the back of the Vale net.

It was beginning to look like the two sides had swapped kits at half time, such was the change around, with Shrewsbury doing most of the attacking whilst Vale were forced to defend.

When the ball did finally arrive invitingly in the visitors penalty area in the 69th minute you would have put your mortgage on Tom Pope finding the net, but he somehow lifted the ball over the crossbar.

At that stage a betting man would have probably put his money on a Shrewsbury grabbing an equaliser and it would have come had Gozie Ugwu not scuffed his shot, missing the target by a matter of inches.

Vale made a change in the 74th minute when Chris Birchall came off the bench to replace Jennison Myrie-Williams.

There were signs that Vale may have started to find their rhythm again and the manager then made a second substitution with the introduction of Jordan Hugill for Ben Williamson.

A good Vale move saw Loft send in a deep cross from the left where Pope was lurking. He headed back across goal from an angle but was denied a goal when the ball struck the base of the fer post.

With four minutes remaining Neal did well to block a stinging 20 yard drive from Luke Summerfield which would have ensured a share of the spoils for Graham Turner’s side.

GOAL:In the fourth minute of stoppage time a great run by Adam Yates saw him send in a crossfield ball and JORDAN HUGILL finished things off with a composed finish to wrap up the points.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.