Skip to main content


16:55 21st September 2013
By  @OficialPVFC

Match report from Vale Park

Saturday 21st September 2013

Port Vale v Coventry City
League One

At Vale Park
9,218 including 3,184 visiting supporters

PORT VALE: Chris Neal, Adam Yates, Chris Robertson, Liam Chilvers, Carl Dickinson, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Anthony Griffith, Chris Lines, Doug Loft, Louis Dodds, Tom Pope. SUBS: Sam Johnson, Chris Shuker, Joe Davis, Ben Williamson, Kaid Mohamed, Richard Duffy,
Chris Birchall,

COVENTRY CITY: Joe Murphy, Cyrus Christie, Blair Adams, Andy Webster, Conor Thomas, John Fleck, Carl Baker, Leon Clarke, Franck Moussa, Callum Wilson, Jordan Clarke, SUBS: Mathieu Manset, Lee Burge, Adam Barton, Jordan Willis, Louis Garner, Ryan Haynes, Ben Maund

Vale twice came from behind to take all three points in a terrific advert for League One football with both teams playing their part in a nail-biting affair at Vale Park.

Tom Pope levelled the scores after Callum Wilson claimed his 9th goal of the season for the Sky Blues, only for Franck Moussa to stun the home crowd with what is surely a contender for goal of the season.

Vale skipper Doug Loft levelled matters in the 59th minute and fittingly, Chris Birchall, a former Sky Blue, hit the decider eight minutes from time.

Micky Adams made two changes to the side that was unlucky to come away from Brisbane Road with nothing in Vale’s previous game.

The Vale boss elected to bring Adam Yates back in for Richard Duffy and Chris Lines replaced Kaid Mohamed in midfield, as Vale looked to halt Coventry’s recent run of form.

In a lively start to the game, both sides were competing well in the middle of the park, with tackles flying in thick and fast.

Coventry top scorer Callum Wilson, who came into the game with eight goals against his name, wasn’t too far off adding to his total in the 12th minute when he got a toe to the ball, but could only manage to prod it wide of the target.

With both sides committed to attack, it was difficult to predict which of the two sides would break the deadlock, but the answer to that came in the 33rd minute.

GOAL: CALLUM WILSONfound himself faced with Liam Chilvers and Adam Yates inside the Vale box and with Chris Neal coming off his line, the Coventry man showed some neat footwork before slipping the ball past all three of them and into an empty net.

GOAL:The visitors’ lead didn’t last long. A Chris Lines free kick from the right flank in the 40th minute saw TOM POPE rise the highest to plan a firm textbook header past Joe Murphy and into the Coventry net.

GOAL:Three minutes later the visitors restored their lead with an absolute belter of a goal from FRANCK MOUSSA, who ran straight at the Vale defence and hit a 30 yard scorcher into the roof of the net, giving Chris Neal no chance of saving it.

Vale made a double substitution at the start of the second half. On came Chris Birchall for Jennison Myrie-Williams, whilst Louis Dodds was replaced by Ben Williamson.

The home side stepped things up after an initial flourish from the visitors with Griffith and Williamson each going close – the latter drilling into the side-netting.

GOAL:In the 59th minute Vale were back on level terms. A Chris Lines free kick from the left was knocked back inside by Chris Birchall and DOUG LOFT sprinted in to slam the ball into the net from 8 yards.

Vale continued to press, causing the visitors’ defence all sorts of problems in a game that was well worth the admission money whichever team you happened to support, with both sets of fans frequently out of their seats.

Tom Pope came within a whisker of getting his second of the game when he got up at the far post to meet Chris Birchall’s cross from the right, but he headed wide of the target.

GOAL:In the 82nd minute Vale go their noses in front for the first time when Murphy saved Pope’s initial effort, but CHRIS BIRCHALL was on hand to send the loose ball into the back of the net.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.