Skip to main content


21:10 4th September 2012
By  Dave Johnson

PORT VALE: Chris Neal, John McCombe, Doug Loft, Louis Dodds, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Tom Pope, Clayton McDonald, Chris Shuker, Sam Morsy, Ashley Vincent, Richard Duffy. SUBS: Rob Taylor, Adam Yates, Ben Williamson, Ryan Burge, Ryan Lloyd
TRANMERE ROVERS: Owain Fon Williams, Danny Holmes, Joe Thompson, Jake Cassidy, Adam McGurk, Danny Harrison, Zoumana Bakayogo, Max Power, Ben Gibson, Abdulai Bell-Baggie, Roman Golobart. SUBS: Jake Kirby, Cole Stockton, Mark McChrystal, Michael Kay, Jason Mooney

Attendance: 2,702 including 149 visitors

Micky Adams sent out an unchanged side for the fifth consecutive match to face League One leaders Tranmere Rovers in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy
Not only was it a repeat of last season's first round tie, albeit at Vale as opposed to Tranmere, it was the fifteenth time the two sides had met in a cup competition.
Vale have met Tranmere Rovers in cup competitions more than any other opposition, but had only won four of the fourteen previous games.

Vale took the game to the visitors early on and went close in the 6th minute when Ashley Vincent’s powerful header flew just over the Tranmere crossbar.

Vale kept up the pressure and almost nudged their way in front when Louis Dodds cut inside into the 18 yard box, but fired wide under pressure.

Dodds did have the ball in the net in the 10th minute of the game, but the referee’s assistant had already flagged for offside.

There was some neat football being played by both sides but despite Vale’s start, not too many chances for either side.

The visitors had the ball in the Vale net in the 26th minute but again the ‘goal’ was ruled out after the referee’s assistant flagged for offside.

Louis Dodds looked like a man on a mission and it was he who again almost broke the deadlock when he twisted his body in order to meet a cross from skipper Doug Loft, but could only watch as the ball hit the side-netting.

Minutes later Dodds then watched as another header landed on top of the net as Vale continued to attack with determination.

Vale ‘keeper Chris Neal had little to do, but managed to claw the ball from under his crossbar in the 45th minute to ensure the scoreline remained 0-0 going into the break.

Vale began the second half pretty much the same as they had ended the first forty five minutes, forcing the visitors back inside their own half.

Vale made their first change of the evening when Ryan Burge came on as a replacement in midfield for Sam Morsy in the 56th minute.

Vale had another opportunity to go in front when Richard Duffy was brought down by Zoumana Bakayogo in the 57th minute, in a central position 25 yards from goal.

JENNISON MYRIE-WILLIAMS lined up the free kick and almost ripped the net off with an absolute screamer that flew into the top of the net to give Vale the lead.

It was no more than Vale deserved after again impressing, this time against higher league opposition.

Vale had what appeared valid shouts for a penalty turned down just five minutes later when Myrie-Williams went down in the box, but the referee waved play on.

Vale made a double substitution on 70 minutes. On came Ben Williamson and Adam Yates to replace Louis Dodds and Richard Duffy.

Five minutes later Vale doubled their lead when Roman Golobart handled a low cross from Yates. MYRIE-WILLIAMS placed the ball on the spot and struck the ball low to the ‘keeper’s left, sending Owain Fon Williams the wrong way.

Vale continued to go for goal and Myrie-Williams wasn’t too far from a hat-trick with a low 20 yard drive that rolled about a foot wide of the post.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.