Skip to main content


16:52 29th December 2012
By  Dave Johnson


Dagenham & Redbridge v Port Vale

At the London Borough ofBarking & Dagenham Stadium

League Two

Attendance: 1,679 including 256 visiting supporters

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE:Chris Lewington, Luke Wilkinson, Oluwafemi IlesanmiScottg Doe, Michael Spillane, Sam Williams, Josh Scott, Medy Elito, Kevin Maher, Luke Howell, Abu Ogogo. SUBS: Jordan Seabright, Josh Wakefield, Jake Reed, Gavin Hoyte, Jake Caprice, Brian Woodall, Billy Bingham.

PORT VALE:Chris Neal, Adam Yates, John McCombe, Louis Dodds, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Tom Pope, Calvin Andrew, Sam Morsy, Ryan Burge, Richard Duffy, Liam Chilvers. SUBS: Sam Johnson, Rob Taylor, Clayton McDonald, Chris Shuker, Ben Williamson, Kingsley James, Ryan Lloyd

Vale made one change to the side that lined up against Rotherham on Boxing Day with Calvin Andrew coming in to replace skipper Doug Loft.

Vale were put under pressure from the kick off, having to deal with the ball being pumped into the air, but they dealt with it well.

Chris Neal was tested by a low drive by Kevin Maher, being forced to dive low to his left to prevent the ball from going in just inside the upright, but seconds later Vale were ahead.

GOAL:A long throw from Adam Yates on the left in the 4th minute was flicked on by John McCombe and TOM POPE made no mistake with a close range header.

GOAL:Five minutes later, Vale doubled their lead when Louis Dodds threaded the ball through for JENNISON MYRIE-WILLIAMS. The Vale winger encroached into the area and slotted past Chris Lewington with consummate ease.

GOAL:The home side were awarded a penalty when SAM WILLIAMS went down inside the box following a challenge by John McCombe. The decision looked harsh as McCombe appeared to have played the ball, but Williams sent Chris Neal the wrong way from the spot.

Pope came within a whisker of adding a third for the visitors when he met a right wing corner taken by Ryan Burge with a downward header, but as the ball bounced up, Lewington managed a slight touch to take it over the crossbar.

GOAL:Vale restored their two-goal advantage in the 39th minute when Morsy played a long ball out of defence to LOUIS DODDS on the halfway line. Dodds beat the advancing Lewington with a sublime finish to record his third goal in three games.

Luke Wilkinson missed a gilt-edged opportunity to pull on back for the visitors, then Pope was denied his second of the game at the other end when his effort was headed off the line as the Valiants went looking for a fourth goal.

Dodds went close to netting his second of the goal when he met Pope’s flick on to smash a volley just inches over the crossbar.

Vale were forced to soak up a spell of pressure from the home side but never looked seriously threatened and coped well as a defensive unit.

Vale made their first substitution in the 79th minute with Rob Taylor coming on for Jennison Myrie-Williams.

GOAL:Despite looking comfortable for most of the game, Vale conceded a second goal in the 83rd minute when SCOTT DOE netted from close range to give the home side renewed hope.

Vale made a second substitution when Clayton McDonald came on for Louis Dodds in the 87th minute.


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.