Skip to main content


16:50 24th November 2012
By  Dave Johnson

Vale record their 6th away win

ALDERSHOT TOWN: Jamie Young, Ben Herd, Anthony Tonkin, Aaron Morris, Troy Brown, Danny Hylton, Peter Vincenti, Sonny Bradley, Kieron Cadogan, Danny Rose, Daniel Lopez.
SUBS: Josh Payne, Rob Sinclair, Doug Bergqvist, Adam Mekki, Glen Morris, Jordan Roberts, Michael Hector.
PORT VALE: Chris Neal, Richard Duffy, John McCombe, Clayton McDonald, Adam Yates, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Ryan Burge, Kingsley James, Ashley Vincent, Ben Williamson, Tom Pope.
SUBS: Louis Dodds, Sean McAllister, Joe Davis, Ryan Lloyd, Rob Taylor, Chris Shuker, Liam Chilvers

Attendance:1,992 including 239 visiting supporters

Micky Adams named an unchanged eleven as Vale looked to pile on the misery against an Aldershot side which had struggled to perform on home turf so far this season.

New loan signing Liam Chilvers was named on the bench, but there was no place for second choice ‘keeper Sam Johnson.

Vale were forced to defend in the opening minutes of the game but the biggest danger looked to be the pitch. Vale’s 18 yard box was cutting up quite badly.

Tom Pope picked up an early knock, but it was Clayton McDonald who had to leave the pitch in the 13th minute – he was replaced by Liam Chilvers.

Chris Neal had a simple save to make in the 17th minute when he collected a tame close range header from Lopez, and Vale went straight up the other end and got their noses in front.

GOAL:Ben Williamson flicked the ball up for Pope, who knocked it on for his fellow striker to run on to and WILLIAMSON stroked the ball across the ‘keeper and in off the far post.

Vale continued to look dangerous but when the home side went forward Cadogan was being given a little bit too much room.

GOAL:Sure enough, the home side levelled in the 28th minute and it was The ball was met at the far post by LOPEZ, whose looping header beat Chris Neal to put Aldershot level.

The home crowd reacted when Hylton went down inside the Vale box, but neither the referee nor his assistant spotted any wrong doing and play was allowed to continue.

Tom Pope got up to met a right wing corner from Ryan Burge, to direct a header at goal, but it was blocked on the line by goalkeeper Jamie Young before being scrambled away.

The two sides went in level at the half time interval. Vale had played well enough, without being at the top of their game and needed to up it a bit in the second half.

Vale began the second half in a determined mood and were soon rewarded, going back in front in the 47th minute.

GOAL:Richard Duffy sent in a deep cross from the right and Tom Pope got up highest to head towards goal, where RYAN BURGE bundled the ball home from close range.

Vale continued to have the better of things, without tearing up any trees on what was becoming a difficult surface to play on.

Vale had to soak up a spell of home pressure but managed to defend well enough to prevent Chris Neil from having anything to do.

There was very little fluency in Vale’s play as they struggled to mount an attack of any consequence, but at the heart of the Vale defence McCombe and Chilvers looked as strong as anything.

GOAL:Vale were given the perfect opportunity to extend their lead in the 76th minute when JENNISON MYRIE WILLIAMS was brought down in the box. The Vale winger got up and blasted the spot kick into the net giving Young absolutely no chance of making the save.

Ben Williamson was substituted two minutes later, giving Louis Dodds the chance to impress ahead of the FA Cup game against Sheffield United next week.

Vale made another change in the 87th minute after Myrie-Williams pulled up. He was replaced by Chris Shuker.





    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.