Skip to main content


02:20 22nd June 2012


FLEETWOOD:Scott Davies, Shaun Beeley, Dean Howell, Steve McNulty, Jon Parkin, Lee Fowler, Junior Brown, Andy Mangan, Jamie McGuire, Damien Johnson, Ashley Eastham. SUBS: Barry Nicholson, Alan Goodall, Chris Maxwell, Steven Gillespie, David ball, Alex Marrow, Tom Barkhhuizen.


PORT VALE:Chris Neal, John McCombe, Doug Loft, Louis Dodds, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Ashley Vincent, Tom Pope, Clayton McDonald, Chris Shuker, Sam Morsy. SUBS: Adam Yates, Rob Taylor, Gareth Owen, Sam Johnson, Ben Williamson, Ryan Lloyd, Ryan Burge


Attendance:3,392 including 1,139 visiting supporters


There was very little between the two sides in the opening minutes of the game, neither side managing to boss things.

John McCombe picked up an early injury but play continued and the Vale defender had to wait until a break in play before he could receive treatment.

Ashley Vincent was the first with an effort on goal. He was fed by Louis Dodds in the 8th minute and twisted and turned in an attempt to get a clear sight of goal, but when he did he fired wide.

The home side then went within a whisker of taking the lead with a 20 yard drive from Lee Fowler, but Chris Neal touched it confidently over his crossbar.

Jennison Myrie-Williams was then denied after the ball was slipped into him inside the 18 yard box. Fleetwood ‘keeper Scott Davies was quick off his line and Vale had to settle for a corner kick.

The home side used the ball well and kept Vale well on their toes with some sleek passing football.

Clayton McDonald showed the never-say-die attitude of the side when he threw himself in the way of a powerful low 20 yard drive from Jon Parkin.

The importance of that block was shown just two minutes later when Vale got their noses in front following a superb crossfield ball from Ashley Vincent in the 29th minute.

Jennison Myrie-William received the ball and,  spotting TOM POPE, he slipped the ball inside to him and the Vale striker made no mistake, stroking the ball past Davies for the opener.

Vale then doubled their lead five minutes later. Receiving the ball wide left, ASHLEY VINCENT cut inside then hit an absolute screamer into the far corner of the net.

The home side pulled a goal back in the 39th minute when a terrific header from Junior Brown flew past the outstretched fingers of Chris Neal into the top right hand corner.

Vale started the second half on the front foot, winning a couple of early corners, but the hme side defended well enough to snuff out any danger.

Brown had a great chance to grab his and Fleetwood’s second when he met a left wing corner in the 58th minute but he couldn’t keep his close range header down.

Vale got their third goal of the night in 60th minute. The home side couldn’t clear a free kick from Chris Shuker and TOM POPE was on hand to fire home his 8th goal of the season.

LOUIS DODDStook advantage of an awful mistake in the Fleetwood defence in the 67th minute, advanced into the box and confidently slotted home Vale’s fourth.

Vale made their first substitution of the game three minutes later when Ryan Burge came off the bench to take over from Sam Morsy in the middle of the park.

MickyAdamsthen made a double substitution in the 74th minute. On came Rob taylor for Ashley Vincent and Ben Williamson replaced Jennison Myrie-Williams.

Vale then netted their fifth goal – a sublime finish from LOUIS DODDS with the outside of his right foot from the edge of the box.

The home side pulled a goal back from the spot in the 84th minute when Clayton McDonald was adjudged to have brought down substitute STEVEN GILLESPIE inside the box andGillsepie dispatched the penalty into the roof of the net.



    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.